Sunday, January 23, 2011

Hunger Pains

During a lunch break

I'll start with what I feel. My eyes are swollen shut. The stillness of 5:00 AM is broken only by the sound of water hitting metal, and I surprised to find that my muscles haven’t woken up yet as it’s taking literally every ounce of my bodily strength to grip the handle of the water pump and press down. I can’t see what I’m doing but as soon as icy water begins soaking my sweatshirt I stop. Stumbling up the sloping granite through the blackness, I mindlessly grip the handle of the now seemingly 500 pound water-filled pot and somehow manage to make it to the top where our tarp is barely outlined. I set the pot down onto a tiny burner, let lighter fluid flow into the burner and light a match that flares up the first light of the morning. And now…I wait. Wait for the two-inch wide flame to bring two gallons of ice cold water to a boil. Wait for the sun while I pry my eyes open the rest of the way and hug my knees to my chest, looking across dark purple peaks heading towards the horizon. And all this for a few spoons of instant oatmeal.
            It’s our 34th day on the ridges of Yosemite, the last day of this beautiful insanity that has taken over each one of us. Why am I here? To save the planet, with five other high school students. To conserve nature. Or something along those lines. A few months ago when I had received my Student Conservation Association acceptance letter in the mail and found out I was going to Yosemite, I nearly ripped the paper to shreds in my excitement. I was going to be part of something bigger, something monumentally beautiful, something...I didn't know. Something besides 6 AM summer swim team or late night illegal fireworks. Something spectacular.  The first week was over in a blur; our job here is to remove illegal campsites around the park by shoveling out coal and trash, which means we never sleep in the same place for more than two nights. Hauling 65 pounds on each of our backs, the 14 mile treks to the next site across granite boulder fields proved to be challenging -- and when I say challenging, I of course mean pure physical agony. But the view of the park from 10,000 feet above the winding valley made it all worth it. That is, until now. We've been up here for four and half weeks now, and the word "insanity" barely covers what the last few days have been like. Grueling. Sickening. Empty. A week ago, it wasn't like this; a week ago we were sane, even happy. Until Tuesday, after we had laid down our shovels and started our lunch break. Adra, one of our leaders, had told us the bad news.
            “Alright, guys, it seems as if we’ve got a problem on our hands. You all know there’ve been forest fires for a while near the valley…but apparently they spread to the refrigeration unit. OUR refrigeration unit. Don’t shit a chicken but…well…the food we’ve got with us is gonna have to last us the rest of the week.”
            Hank, our assless-chaps-wearing resupply man, had just headed back down the 10,000 feet to the valley. Every few days, he would don his aviators and spurs, and ride a mule loaded with food to our next site. The days he came to resupply us, we would wait sick with anticipation and lack of food until we heard his whistling; it was like he was the ice cream truck driver and we were five year olds during the summer time (Sidenote: for me, the ice cream will always provoke me to sprint down the street flailing my arms like a crazy person as it did when I was little). Anyways, we would drop whatever we were holding and race to Hank, to our own personal Mother Theresa, and gorge ourselves with whatever we could get our hands on.
            So you can imagine that after receiving the news that we would have to make a few days worth of food, which was already a meager amount for that period of time, last a week – we were a bit upset.
            And now it’s the last day before we get down to the valley, to showers and soap and any foods we desire – and I think we have all gone a little crazy. I’ve been waiting for this pot of water to boil for half an hour and I think I have pneumonia and I can’t help but wonder…is this worth a few crappy spoonfuls of oatmeal? I tip the near empty bag of instant oats so they fall into one corner; there is about a cup left. I look over to the severely diminished pile of food – three corn tortillas, and half a cup of gorp. This is what we have to sustain eight of us for a nine mile hike down the rest of the way to the valley. And when the sun finally comes up, the temperature will rise and the sun will sap whatever energy we have out of us. At least we’re done working, because I think that all of us may have collapsed.
            This week has tested both our physical and mental strength. Not only am I constantly sapped of energy, but I feel an emptiness I’ve never experienced. We are constantly on edge with each other. I have never felt so hungry; I literally can think of nothing else. I've filled at least three pages of my journal with pictures of food, from a strawberry rhubarb pie to a whole turkey leg. What I wouldn’t give for a glass of cold milk...or an entire pork roast...or something besides nothing.
            The water’s finally boiling and the sun has begun casting rays of light across the top of the tarp. The pink tips of the misty peaks stretching out into the distance are breathtakingly beautiful – but I barely register this. I’ve barely been able to register anything for the last week except for my stomach. Adra and Alex, our leaders, are the first to roll out of their sleeping bags and join me under the tarp.
“Last day!” Adra says, forcing a smile. I can see her smile lines tattooed on her face even after she stops; dirt and coal dust from shoveling out fire rings have caked all of our faces, and the crevasses of her smile are white in comparison.
“Is this it?” Anna’s under the tarp and is examining the bag of oats.
“Uhhh-huh.” I remove the water from the flame as the rest of the group stumbles under the tarp, grabbing their dirt-covered plastic bowls. We fill our bowls with hot water, and Adra picks up the bag of oats. We are all watching the bag, anticipating the food that will slide down our throats in a few seconds and maybe stop the stabbing hunger for an hour or two. She scoops two spoonfuls into her bowl; the bag is handed around to each person, and we all watch each other like hawks, monitoring the amount each person is taking. Eventually it reaches Walter – and I watch as he reaches in after two scoops to take a third. I hate him. I HATE him. The bag passes to Anna but Patrick and Elaine are still glaring at Walter. I don’t care that I’ve lived with this person for five weeks. I don't care if he's hungry, I don't care if he's twice my size, I want to punch him in the face. I am going to punch him in the face. He is not entitled to those oats. I clench my fists until my dirt-filled nails cut my palms. I want stick my hand in his bowl and take back the oats. They’re not his. They should by mine. MINE -- and Elaine cracks. But she keeps it polite.
“Uh, Walter, we’ve all taken only two scoops – don’t you think you should save a little for the rest of the group?” Walter’s head snaps up.
“Elaine, I took just as much as everyone else, so why don't you just lay of my FUCKING back.” We all stiffen, and Tristan passes the bag to me. I take two spoonfuls and my stomach screams as I pass the bag to my right.
This has been each morning, every morning, for the last six days. And I think someone may end up being accidentally pushed over the edge of a cliff by nightfall. And right about now...I wouldn't be surprised if I was the one who did the pushing. And the scary thing is...I don't even know that I would regret it. This trip has been something spectacular; it's changed us all into wild beings, driven purely by ids and counting spoonfuls and the growling that comes from seemingly every part of our bodies. It's turned me into someone I wouldn't have recognized a few weeks ago. The hunger consumes me, and I hope that once we get down to the valley, we'll find our old selves.



16 comments:

  1. I'm planning on adding more, so this isn't really finished yet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nora,

    I'm really glad to read that your adding more because so far I'm definitely intrigued. You use great imagery and description. The quote incorporation works really well and I love your specificity. The last part that is posted so far I can really relate to and you relayed the experience perfectly! Great start, no suggestions at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m also very glad that you’re adding on; I found it was so hard to come to some sort of conclusion with these memoirs so I’m excited to see how you finish this. Certainly, your story is incredibly interesting. At first I thought this was going to be about LandSea, but what were you doing to save the world? Did you leave that ambiguous on purpose? If not, I think that would be a great detail. Your imagery puts me right there, and I can almost feel your exhaustion or frustration, but your ideas seem a little fragmented. I could see how intentional staccato sentences could convey your tired thoughts, but to me it felt like a lot of dashes and ellipses and “and”s.
    I could be wrong, but I feel like your memoir could benefit from tightening its tie a little bit, getting into language that’s a little more formal. Right now it leans a bit toward a journal entry. How does everyone else feel about this? Thoughts?
    Overall, I can’t wait to read more and/or talk about this in class. Don’t keep us in suspense for too long!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the part where you draw pictures of food in your journal! And I can't totally feel the hunger, fatigue and frustration of the group. I agree with Alexis, that it wasn't clear what you were doing in Yosemite--or what you were doing with shovels. You set the scene really well in the beginning, and I like how you bring us back to the concrete--the water waiting to boil--between explanations of your situation and descriptions of your hunger pains.

    If you could just add in a few details about why you are there/what "work" you've been doing, it would clear things up a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a really striking piece. the clear description and narration make for a very good combination that both draws the reader in and makes it a vivid read. I really like the comparison of your supply guy to the ice cream man. Definatly can't wait to see how this turns out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite thing is the meta-cognitive voice you take on. I love your voice. The descriptions and everything--seem very crisp. The little snippets of other characters tell us a lot about you, I think, and your assessment of them adds a lot to the piece. And you weave the concrete and pensive parts together well, I think.

    This is such a strong draft (I'm jealous)... and I actually hope that we talk about ending these pieces in class tomorrow, because it's something I'm struggling with too. Overall though, I think this is really dynamic and vibrant and like it a Lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Nora. This piece is, as Jake said, striking. Actually, the other commenters summed up a lot of my own feelings quite clearly and concisely.

    I agree with Alexis, this feels a bit like a journal entry. We as readers aren't given the background information regarding why you are in Yosemite, or why you are using shovels--it is assumed (apart from the description of Hank) that we know what the situation is. I can understand a desire for these things in a memoir piece, but part of me really likes it as it is: simple, clean, and easy to read.

    As Kelsey said, this is such a strong draft (I, too, am jealous). I am really interested to see where you take this, and your ending certainly left us hanging. Fantastic work, Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tension. What a way to keep the tension. The last paragraphs kept me coming closer and closer and closer to the screen. Very good descriptions, excellent use of the present tense (which is hard when you also have to mention things that happen in the past relative to the story you're telling).

    The first sentence I would cut out. the rest is just marvelous. Also, is that the ending you wanted? it's an awesome piece of narrative but it does kind of feel left hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As many have said, definitely curious about what you were doing there. However, it is not vital to the story to add it, as the main focus of your piece is what happened while you were there. If you think you can incorporate that into the story smoothly then go for it, but if it seems to forced I wouldn't worry about it so much.
    You are really good and pulling the reader in and making them feel the same emotions you do. After talking about how early it is, how exhausted you are, and how your eyes aren't even fully opened, you ask yourself "why am I here? To save the planet... or something along those lines." We don't know why you're there, but the fact that you don't either really drives the point home. You are tired!
    And that scene when Walter takes that third cup of oats caused me so much anxiety. I wanted to punch him in the face too, and I'm sitting in my room on a warm bed and well fed. I'm glad to hear there's going to be more, because as it is now, it leaves the reader feeling very angry at the end.
    This was really great and brilliantly written!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed reading this so much. I'm a stickler for vivid description and you hit the nail right on the head. I loved the description of Adra's smile lines sticking out against the dirt caked onto her face. Your voice also weaves really easily through the narration of the events and the commentary about them.
    The last section of the story is great at drawing the reader along with your emotions. You've set up the hardships you've endured up until that point in the story, and that makes the last scene all the more poignant. That Walter's a douchebag.
    I don't think that the first sentence is necessary. We get the strain and vividness that you are experiencing from the way you write, I don't think we need that first meta-preface.
    We need more background about why you are where you are, but you said there's still more to come. I await more eagerly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nora,
    This is really great stuff. I think you took a very interesting approach on this assignment as our entire class thus far has been about the consumption of food. You, on the other hand, wrote about the simple lack of food and what toll that can take on a person mentally, physically, and emotionally. As someone who has never experienced "going hungry" this piece really spoke to me. Your description of simple things like boiling water, rationing oats, the pains of hunger that prickled your stomach, all made this so real to me.
    I loved your descriptions of Adra's smile lines and your ass-less chaps supply man. However, I was looking for a descriptive sentence about Walter once you introduced him. I think it would be good to add in a little more about him, so we can hate him even more. Great job, all in all, Nora. I'd re-read your piece for typos when you get a chance, but fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed reading your piece as well. I love all of the detail you put into it like filling the last three pages in your journal with food (so sad!) and the assless-chaps-wearing resupply man. Your descriptions say a lot. To me, this piece seemed very genuine because you're really direct with your feelings and as a reader I can definitely sense the connection between the lack of food and all of the tension--you do a great job at setting the stage for that. This reminds when I was on landsea and tensions were so high when dinnertime came around. I really do think that our lack of food had some sort of connection to how we treated each other toward the end of the trip. So I could picture myself in this situation which is what I love when I read. I also appreciate your use of quotes. It adds a personal element; I felt like I was getting to know the characters, aside from your descriptions. I'm also glad that you'll be adding more. It seemed a little abrupt, but I actually did like the way you ended it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nora,

    I’m loving it so far! I do agree that it needs a little more. I want to know when karma’s going to knock Walter down the hill on the way down or something!

    Your use of imagery is great. I actually felt hungry enough while reading to grab a snack! I would like to know more about what you were doing in Yosemite. I would like to know why you ended up with the task of carrying the water up the hill at 5:00 a.m., Yikes!

    As with most first drafts, if not all, if you were to re-read your work I think you’d find just a few minor corrections with the missing word deal.

    Other than that, I’m excited for what is to come, keep up the good work girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nora, this is really beautiful.
    I love how you took this in a different direction than everyone and focused on the absence of food and what that does for you. And I really enjoyed that you told us what foods you were dreaming about while you were starving in the woods. I think that says a lot about a person—and I think you picked really good choices. Mmmm, rhubarb—and added to your overall voice. Your inner dialogue did this as well throughout the piece. By letting us as readers hear your thoughts, you showed us so much about you without needed to directly tell us who you are.
    You also set the scene nicely, something I struggled to do. I could see you pulling your legs up to your chest, the dirt covered bowls. I could feel the cold pot of water on my hands, and those images stuck with me even when I had finished reading the piece.
    This is a really strong rough draft. I can’t wait to read the final draft and see how you fill up after being empty of food for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The body only needed some polishing, which you've done wonderfully, the piece is not only a lot clearer without damaging the tension you managed to build, but you also managed to give it a strong, full-circle ending

    ReplyDelete